Well, I am in Newcastle and I (Shaina) am finally posting the blog update I promised a month ago. It has been an awesome month!! To back up a bit, the last weekend in February the four of us traveled with Kevin, the pastor of Life Church, to Wollongong. He was preaching at a church and we were going to meet up with James, another “random” acquaintance. When we arrived and were waiting for James we saw a sign for a BBQ, welcoming all. When I say we I mean Ricky. Michael and I were waiting for James to pick us up while Ricky and Amanda went to go scope out the food. An Aussie man walking past us(while I was whistling) and told me not to quit my day job- that I’d never make it as a whistler, and continued walking…! Haha Between Ricky’s tricks and Amanda’s sweet smile (or God’s provision and sweet blessing) all five of us (Ricky, Michael, Amanda, James, and I) had a catered meal, drinks, and dessert for free! Over $100 of deliciousness and our picture to go in the newsletter haha. We’ve had a TON (metric) of free food since being here. So good.
We had to relocate for a week when and it worked out awesomely of course. Went to the reputed whitest beach in the world, Hillsong church, and met another 100 random peeps.
Things we’ve been up to lately:
The garden at Mayfield East Elementary has been going well. We finished cleaning up the land where they want to plant melons and pumpkins. Not sure how many kilos of waste, dirt, and shrubs we moved but a small hill probably. We weeded a few beds and pulled up grass from around the small citrus trees with picks. Stephanie Alexander is the chef who donated the grant to the school, she came yesterday to see the progress and how the children are learning and benefiting from the gardens. I guess it was a pretty big deal for her to come because there were several reporters and cameras. We stayed for tea time, grabbed food and headed out.
Ricky has organized some peeps to do worship at our church in down town. He played the guitar and sang the last few weeks which encouraged me a lot, to worship God because He is Lord and Friend, Holy and Gracious not because I have or do not have a pleasant singing voice or musical talent.
We went to a different elementary for harmony day last week and did a few skits. I shared a story to encourage kids there to get along and befriend and accept people who are different than they are. We got booed at on stage… not exactly sure why... haha. I met a few islanders who performed different cultural dances for the kids. They are a group from the university and invited me to come and learn sick dance moves! I’m hoping to go!
The retirement center won’t let us come and play bingo with the oldies without police checks which are too expensive and time consuming for them to deem worthy of a few months visiting. We’ve met old strangers instead. And they invite us over for tea and dinner J haha I have found that the things I do to bring a smile to someone’s face or sharing a kind word/ greeting with strangers has brought such goodness and happiness to me. Doing things just to improve someone else’s day expecting nothing back has actually given me a lot- it is ridiculous!
Surf Fest was fun. We walked, talked, and swam all weekend. Played table tennis with some pro surfers and they invited us out to a pub, we didn’t go but pro surfers wanted to hang out with us! We met some girls from Germany and invited them to dinner at the base. Also met Louisa and another gal and got to love on them for a few hours. It was so cool because I got the impression no one has invested in them like that for a long time if ever. Hope to see them again. Ricky and Mike seemed to have some long conversations with some people over the weekend as well. Our friend Cory from our road trip to Brisbane was putting on an art festival next to Surf Fest and I got to meet a few interesting folks over there and listen to some great tunes.
Going to the University has been awesome!! Every Tuesday we’re in Newie we invite people to have lunch in the math building. Everyone loves free food and friends it’s so fun. There are tons of people who come back every week. More keep coming and bringing friends then the friends bring friends the next week. Lots of them come to International service on Sunday at the Korean church for more free food and chats. I think the “christianese” word for all this is evangelism. Building relationships to love, encourage, and speak truth to people who want it. It seems like what Jesus did. I love the freedom to travel and spread the GOOD NEWS while being so involved with in the local community. CHRIST IS KING OF NEW SOUTH WALES!!!! And we are living out of that reality every day.
Tomorrow we are doing something with the polls and the mayor of the city and elections.. I’m not exactly sure what it is yet but we’ll be on the street meeting people all day. Dancing in the street!! Hopefully anyway.
Personally:
God spoke to me when we were up on the Blue Mountains when we were worshiping together as a team and said “How can you worship someone you don’t know?” My heart had been burning for the last few weeks about KNOWING God, knowing what He is like, who He is. I just miss Him. I have to know this man; who He is, what He is like, His nature, His character. I’ve been reading through the book of Acts and it is so beautiful to see how the Holy Spirit is a sign to believers of kinship and common love of Jesus. It has been such a learning time for me. Reading through the Old Testament, I’m in Exodus now. Super excited to meet my month old nephew Jeffery!
I’m learning how to disciple Amanda well and lead her. That mostly means a lot of apologies. I can see her growing so much in her personal life. She is falling in love with God and learning what it is to trust God. I can tell He is being faithful to her in what ever it is she has been talking to Him about because her faith in God is stronger and life is getting more intense.
Michael left for home two days ago because his granddad passed away. I’m hopeful that he will come back. I believe Michael will go where God leads him, even when it is painful.
Ricky is just cheeky and seems to be doing alright. I’m positive that I am tanner than he.
I have the beginning of dreads (which I call joy locks)! Shells included.
Swam over wild dolphins, went out with a surfer, had a hot chip sandwich, ate a tablespoon of vegemite, had a camp fire on the beach at night and went for a swim, ate kangaroo and fed some live ones.
----Shaina O'Leary
No comments:
Post a Comment